Deadline: 7 October 2019
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of WASH Specialist in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The WASH Specialist will Assists in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating an advocacy and communication strategy to get children’s and women’s issues into the public domain, strengthen political will in support of UNICEF’s mission and objectives in the country, and enhance the organization’s credibility and brand.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The WASH Specialist will perform the following functions:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Programme development and planning
- Contribute to the development and planning of the Urban / Refugee WASH programme. Draft the WASH inputs for the situation analysis.
- Provide timely, comprehensive and current data to inform WASH policy and programme development, planning, management and implementation.
- Keep abreast of WASH sector development trends, for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in programme design, management and implementation.
- Participate in strategic WASH programme planning discussions.
- Prepare WASH donor proposals, ensuring alignment with UNICEF’s Strategic Plan, UNICEF’s global WASH strategy and the Country programme, as well as government plans and priorities, and the role of other external support agencies.
- Assist in the formulation of the WASH outcome and output results, related indicators, baselines, targets and means of verification.
- Prepare required documentation for programme reviews.
- Work with colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies for the achievement of WASH output results in the country programme.
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Contribute to the management and implementation of the Urban / Refugee WASH programme. This includes programme management of multiyear, large value grants.
- Specific attention to be given to procurement and contract management, financial management and programme oversight and coordination of government, private sector, academic and NGO partners.
- With other external support agencies, strengthen national government WASH sector monitoring systems, with a focus on WASH outcomes (behaviors), using bottleneck analysis tools available in the sector (WASH-BAT, CSOs, SDAs).
- Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Actively monitor UNICEF-supported activities through field visits, surveys and exchange of information with partners, to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely interventions.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in WASH, to support programme implementation.
- Plan for use of technical experts from the Regional Office and HQ, as and where appropriate in the WASH programme, through remote support and on-site visits.
- Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- • Prepare requisitions for supplies, services, long-term agreements and partnership agreements to ensure UNICEF is prepared to deliver on its commitments for WASH in case of an emergency.
- • Contribute to the coordination arrangement for humanitarian WASH, for instant robust coordination in case of an emergency.
- • Ensure that all UNICEF WASH staff are familiar with UNICEF’s procedures for responding in an emergency.
- Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve WASH output results.
- Prepare materials for WASH programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and support fund-raising.
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering or another relevant technical field.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are a strong asset.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries is required.
- At least 3 years of experience in design, implementation, monitoring and management of urban/peri-urban WASH programmes is required.
- Work experience in refugee settings is an strong asset.
- At least 1 three-month deployment mission in a humanitarian situation (with UN-Govt-INGO) is required.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
For more information, please visit UNICEF.