Deadline: 5 June 2019
UN Women is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Gender Parity Specialist in New York, United States. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Gender Parity Specialist is responsible to support the engagement of the UN system in gender parity efforts, working through the established coordination mechanisms; assisting in developing, promoting; and monitoring strategies for enhanced implementation and accountability in the UN system for gender parity as well as promoting and monitoring gender balance within the UN system.
UN Women is the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Gender Parity Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Provide analytical and advisory support on gender parity:
- Provide guidance and analytical and technical support on strengthening the UN system’s gender parity efforts, including follow-up, implementation and coordination of the SG’s System-wide Strategy on Gender Parity within the UN System.
- Provide technical and coordination support to UN Women’s implementation plan, including at the field and global levels, in line with UN Women’s mandate.
- Provide Capacity-building support and strengthening of interagency networks:
- Provide technical support to, and build capacity of, Gender Focal Points and Focal Points for Women; including dissemination of good practices and inter-agency knowledge sharing, and strengthening the network and role of Focal Points in line with UN Women’s mandate, including in peacekeeping.
- Strengthen partnerships and cooperation with other entities of the UN Common System and beyond through regular contacts to exchange ideas, review progress in implementation of inter-agency projects and promote initiative for increased collaboration.
- Provide Outreach and awareness raising support:
- Organize public events and communications.
- Provide inputs to and finalize knowledge products and capacity development materials.
- Partner with relevant networks, including collaboration with civil society, as needed.
- Provide monitoring and reporting support:
- Support inter-governmental processes, including but not limited to creating the biennial SG’s Report on the Improvement in the Status of Women in the UN System.
- Provide updates to regular monitoring and reporting on gender parity progress, including disseminating information through the UN Women website and analytic reports.
- Provide technical and strategic support to policy development and implementation, monitoring and reporting, research and knowledge management on gender parity in the UN system.
- Key Performance Indicators:
- Enhancement of gender parity within the UN system Timely support to the enhancement of gender parity within the UN System in line with the annual workplan.
- Timely support to initiatives, in line with the annual workplan that are targeted to an Increased representation of women throughout the UN system; timely support to activities that lead to change in the organizational culture/enabling environment in support of gender parity.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in one or more of the following disciplines: gender issues, social sciences, economics, or other related fields is required.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience, including with the UN inter-agency processes and intergovernmental bodies dealing with gender.
- Experience in the UN Common System recommended.
- Experience in gender related research / strategy development recommended.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UN Women.