Deadline: 4 September 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Head of Gender in New York, United States. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Head of Gender will be responsible to provide world-class authoritative contributions, advice and technical expertise, leading advocacy and speaking assertively on behalf of the organization, establishing guidelines and directing the work of staff within the unit.
UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Head of Gender will perform the following functions-
- Policy Formulation and Development
- Coordinate and substantively guide the Gender Team on integration of gender and women’s empowerment in policy and programming framework, and provide advice supporting implementation of the UNDP Strategic Plan and Gender Equality Strategy 2014-2017.
- Initiate new innovative policies and programmes to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment around the world and within UNDP.
- Provide guidance on corporate alignment of UNDP work to new gender policies and system wide frameworks.
- Deliver high quality intellectual leadership on UNDPs gender policies, knowledge products and services through quality assurance, strategic guidance and oversight.
- Policy Advisory and Programme Support
- Coordinate, provide substantive leadership, supervision and managerial guidance to the policy teams in the Regional Hubs in their provision of support to country offices.
- Ensure that gender is part of multi-disciplinary approaches across thematic areas and organizational teams.
- Provide leadership in ensuring that gender policies and tools are relevant for all country contexts, including middle income, LDC and crisis contexts.
- Overall Management and Resource Mobilization
- Lead, and manage the multidisciplinary Gender Team, including supervising staff, professional development of the team and overseeing work planning, budgeting and reporting.
- Create an enabling environment for staff engaged with gender equality.
- Facilitate the environment and approve strategies to mobilize financial resources and ensure their effective utilization by advisors and programmes managed by BPPS in this Cluster.
- Partnerships, Representation and Advocacy
- Forge key partnerships with governments, CSOs, academia and the private sector; encourage South-South partnerships.
- Mobilize, foster and strengthen strategic partnerships with UN Agencies and Funds, particularly UNW, UNFPA and UNICEF, the EOSG, MPTF, the UN Secretariat; and other agencies within the UN.
- Expand partnerships with IFIs, Multilateral development Banks, OECD/DAC, Impact Investors and the Private Sector.
- Represent UNDP in interagency coordination and in other fora to engage partners in advancing the strategic agenda of gender equality.
- Represent UNDP at international conferences and seminars, contribute to research, communications and op-eds to advocate the importance gender equality and women’s empowerment In addressing the sustainable development goals.
- Knowledge Management
- Oversee UNDPs knowledge management for gender equality and ensure the organization keeps abreast of emerging and cutting-edge knowledge on gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- Lead and promote capturing knowledge emerging from the development and implementation of programmes at global, regional and country level.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced university gender studies, political science, political economy or a related social science or relevant discipline.
- 15 years of professional work experience leading teams, providing policy advice and pioneering approaches in development programmes, in the area of gender equality.
- Demonstrated track-record of excellence in delivering the work programme of complex, global, national or regional organizational entities in the area of gender equality.
- Working experience in development country contexts.
- Excellent communications skills with public speaking experience
- Written publications, ted talks or published op eds on gender equality a plus.
- Excellent knowledge of English, as well as writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Fluency in other UN languages is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNDP.